The interesting topic of spirituality, seems to have a different perspective for men. From my observations, for some reason, it's not as widely discussed as freely as it seems to be in women's circles.
Is this because less men are actually open to the subject? Or is it merely because we're so concerned about our 'blokey' images that we keep our mouths shut?
I once travelled to India, where I met an Aussie guy who was big, tough and used to be an excavator driver. We met at an Ashram at a place called Puttaparthi where he was into meditation and was happy to discuss the topic of spirituality. Although while in India it's an easier setting for the whole subject, he proceeded to explain that he didn't care what people thought. Apparantly back in Australia at times he would meditate during his lunch break while sitting on his excavator. I'm pretty sure this is not the norm, and slightly easier if you look like Clint Eastwood.
Supposedly spiritual awareness is growing and it's a fascinating subject, yet I haven't come across too many other men open to the subject.
It's interesting to observe how people react when the topic is dropped into a coversation. Obviously you have to pick your audience, but I have seen a relaxed conversation get a little uncomfortable, and then suddenly you're being looked at as though you have your fly undone.
I wonder if less men are actually spiritually aware, or are we just not prepared to jeopardise our friendships by introducing a left field topic into our usual conversations?
Women seem to have the advantage here as they seemingly are open to talk about anything.....I sometimes used to wonder what level of details were discussed when my ex-wife met with her friends.
For me anyway, the subject is not so much like many other interests that seem to have come and gone, it's more like a missing piece of this puzzle called 'life', that has finally been found.
I would be interested to hear anyone else's experience on the topic.
Have a great day.
No comments:
Post a Comment